What is Paleo?
Paleolithic Diet. AKA Paleo. The Paleo Diet is popular in the “box” world, and with Paleo, in combination with consistent exercise, will make you a lean mean machine…or so they say, right? Many people out there know that this is the “Caveman Diet,” but what really does Paleo consist of and why is it important to incorporate it into your lifestyle?
According to Wikipedia, “The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the “Paleolithic diet” also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.”
What does this mean? Basically, no added junk or preservatives to your food…just meat and veggies. No refined or processed sugars, everything “au natural.”
What can you eat on Paleo?
- Meat (bacon, pork, bacon, chicken, bacon, veal, bacon, turkey…and did I mention bacon?), Fish, Vegetables, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, certain fats (preferably coconut, macadamia, olive and palm oils for cooking), avocados are a tasty paleo friendly fat as well!
- Coconut milk, almond milk, almond butter, certain nuts (not peanuts), seeds, raw honey
- Fruits and raw honey
- Gluten, Grains (wheat, rice, spelt, oats, quinoa, pasta, bread etc…)
- Refind sugars (candy, cookies, pastries, cake, oatmeal), vegetable oils
- soda and sugar filled drinks, alcohol (unless it’s TEQUILA!)
- Dairy (including yogurt)
I know, I know…this sounds SSOOOO restricted, but don’t worry, that’s what I am here for…to root you on and give you Paleo advice, and to entice you with my delicious Paleo friendly recipes, that are quick and easy, and make you elated that you converted to the Paleo lifestyle. I promise. And I’m a woman of my word.